On November 4, 2008, voters in California will head to the poles to vote on what perhaps is the most important social proposition in the history of our country. Proposition 8 proposes to “amend the California Constitution to specify that only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California.” Marriage between a man and a woman is legal recognition of the creation of a new family unit. The family is the basic social and governing unit of society and as such it is important to preserve strength in the family. This strength is best preserved when marriage is between a man and a woman. This has been verified throughout the history of the world. Some people argue that unions between two men or two women should also be recognized as a marriage and therefore as the basis of a family. If this is the case, then this homosexual union must be able to increase or at least equal the general social and governmental benefits that are derived from a traditional heterosexual family with a man and a woman at its head. Recent research shows that this is not the case. There are several benefits, social and otherwise, that are derived from traditional heterosexual marriages that are not present in homosexual unions.
“Marriage between a man and a woman provides, among other things
- “The best setting for the safest and most beneficial expression of sexual intimacy (the only safe sex);
- “The best environment into which children can be born and reared
- “The best security for the status of women
- “The strongest and most stable companionate unit of society (and thus the most secure setting for intergenerational transmission of social knowledge and skills)
- “A functional and historic social stability that same-sex marriage would undermine
- “The seed-ground for democracy and the most important schoolroom for self-government (the best training ground for civic virtue, the ability to forgo personal gratification or immediate profit for the greater welfare of society)
- “The basis for intercultural understanding (male-female marriage is one of the few constants across cultures
and across time).”
In addition to these benefits, it is imperative that we remember that marriage between a man and a woman was instituted by God Himself from the beginning of time. Throughout history, as men have disregarded the commandments of God and turned to their own wisdom, calamities and destruction have come upon them. Living prophets in our day have warned, “We warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.”
For these reasons I urge all residents of California to vote YES on Proposition 8 and all others to do all within their power to support this initiative. Make your voice heard in supporting this God-given institution and do not allow the whims and designs of a few to bring calamities and disarray upon our great nation
Center for Studies of the Family, Brigham Young University. (2000). Strengthening Our Families: An In-Depth Look at the Proclamation on the Family. (D. C. Dollahite, Ed.) Salt Lake City, UT, United States of America: Bookcraft.
The Family: A Proclamation to the World
Leave a Reply